29 April 2007

VCR PC

Well, I got the crazy idea to build a computer inside a VCR case. I am not done but I do have it up and running.
As I described to a friend on Gtalk:
I built a Micro ATX PC in a old VCR case to act as a viewing station for my vast TV collection. Well, it isn't done but it is functional. The cover is not on yet (I have to cut a hole and put a fan cage on it) and I need to find a way to get a DVDROM to fit but otherwise, like I said, it s functional.

The problem with the DVDROM is I put a video card in for TV out and it blocks the VCR slot. Whenever I finally buy a HDTV I'll get one with VGA input and use the onboard video so, time is the answer there... and well, I am just being lazy about the cover ;)
Interestingly, I drilled holes in the VCR case and used small nuts and bolts to attach the mobo to the VCR case. one nut underneath the case and one between the mobo and case. I also had to use a dremel tool to cut away plastic pieces that were in the way of the mobo sitting flush.

Another tidbit, the harddrive (an old 20GB) is cantilevered by just 2 screws! And the power supply is just sort of sitting there for now. I may try to find a slightly larger VCR case, but for now this works fine!




2 comments:

Andy said...

Another probably ridiculously difficult suggestion:

Hook up the on/off switch to the power button on the VCR. You have to admit that would be neat.

Arnold said...

Patrick, you are a crazy sonofabitch.

But while you're at it make the FF and Rewind take you back and forward in your browser.