13 April 2008

Bad River Expedition

Despite winds gusting in excess of 20mph (I think the gusts were close to 30, but I am not sure), I went out kayaking yesterday. I put in at the mouth of the Bad River and paddled upstream to minimize the affect of the wind on me.
The distance totaled 5.4 miles and, as you can see from the map, nearly reached the first Ft Pierre swimming hole (sewage lagoon). The point I chose to turn around at is the lone rapid on the Bad River. Not really much of a rapid but oh well.
I could not get any closer to the rapid because the water was too shallow. Had I portaged around this point, I don't think I would have found much more water further upstream either. By July, I probably won't even be able to make it this far.

Well, I better be getting ready for church; I will be going paddling later today though I am not sure where at yet.

No comments: