28 January 2006

Roundabouts... black holes of civil engineering?

Roundabouts seem to fascinate Americans. I am not entirely sure why, except that there are very few roundabouts in the United States. I had never encountered one until I moved to Washington (state). Someone in the WSDOT seems almost obsessed with them; there is an entire section in the Design Manual for the design of roundabouts. And a number of them in operation across the state with at least one more to be constructed in the near future. I know of two problem intersections where the idea of a roundabout is being considered.

I am still not sure on my view of roundabouts, but they do remove all left turn movements. This provides for a more efficient intersection. Other than taking up more land, there are very few negatives about them. I have heard people say that most drivers don't know how to navigate through a roundabout, but I feel that with proper signing it is simple to figure out. Below is the lone roundabout in Yakima. What appears to be a sidewalk around the center is in fact extra space for trucks/semis navigating the roundabout.The perfect situation for a roundabout is when an intersection has more than 4 legs (even though I would prefer to see the rouds rerouted instead). Swindon, England took this a little too far and came up with what they call the 'Magic Roundabout.' Pictured below:
I believe I can speak for nearly everyone in the world when I say 'FRELL!' Apparently, it does operate well. In the U.S., where the traveling public is less accustomed to roundabouts this would be a nightmare (accidents, road rage, etc.).

A college friend and I recently noted how many comedies, including, The Simpsons and National Lampoon's European Vacation, show drivers just driving around roundabouts for hours, never exiting. We joked about how roundabouts must be a kind of black hole... capturing and holding cars with, presumably, a gravitational pull.

Well, if I was either a better writer or had a more inventive imagination I could continue to rant and roar about roundabouts, but neither applies to me so... THE END.

2 comments:

Patrick Wellner said...

The WSDOT Design Manual chapter that I link to in the post does a good job explaining when to use and not to use a roundabout in a design. Take a look, if you are interested.

Andy said...

Interestingly enough, Olathe, KS has several roundabouts as well. Don't tell me we hired the WSDOT to design our road system! No wonder Kansas taxes are so high!