31 January 2006

The Daring and the Foolhardy

As you can see, I have been adjusting my sidebar the past day or two. I have come up with a final look that I am pleased with. Before I go any further into the sidebar, I will explain the quote that I chose for my blog title.

I have always been intrigued by the ocean, sailing, and the history. Well when A&E released the Horatio Hornblower movies, I was thrilled. I loved the first set (4) of movies and the two sets of 2 that followed. Well, after the movies began to introduce me to the story and I realized that they were based on novels by C.S. Forester I had to read the books.

As in all cases, the books were better than the movies (even though the movies did an incredible job, nevertheless). To the quote now, Admiral Cornwallis (Captain Pellew in the movies) states this to Hornblower as he sends Hornblower off to investigate the French coast during a seize fire. What is meant by it is that any action Hornblower took could be interpretted to be the correct or incorrect depending upon the results. Admiral Cornwallis went on to say that he would defend Hornblower's actions if the results were negative. He knew he had a brilliant young commander at his disposal.

On to the side bar, I was inspired my friend, Andy Kannenberg, to start my blog after reading his for a couple of weeks. I placed him (and myself) under daring. We dared to start a blog ;)
Well, we have been trying to convince our other friends from college to also start blogs, so I placed them under foolhardy as a punishment of sorts.

(does this title sound like a soap opera title to anyone else? hmm after reading all of CS Forester's Hornblower books, I think that A&E should continue making their movies untill all of the novels are covered... any A&E execs reading this?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting

Andy said...

If true