01 February 2006

Life's Lessons from Gaelic Storm ;)

Saying that Gaelic Storm is my favorite band is an understatement. On the other hand, I am far from their biggest fan; I would call their fan following cult-like. GS fans bring the cult-fav term from science fiction television shows to irish/celtic music.

Well, their DVD, Live In Chicago, was released last week and I have been relentlessly watching it since. The music is great, the band members have great... er... define stage presence. The band uses a wide variety of instruments a list can be seen below with a few pics from the DVD. The first image shows the band playing (nothing special going on). The next two show the three original/band forming memebers "leaning back." Man, that is impressive!

Pat Murphy (Spoons,Accordion,Harmonica)
Steve Wehmeyer (Bodhran,Didjeridoo)
Steve Twigger (Guitar,Mandolin)
Ellery Klein (fiddle)
Pete Purvis (Various bagpipes and whistles)
(including electric bagpipes)
Ryan Lacey (Percussion)








































The band even tries to teach people through their music. For instance, "Courtin' In The Kitchen" warns young men to be careful when courtin' in the kitchen. If the lass comes down in "nothing but her nighty" and "slyly hints of marriage" then runoff immediately because if you are caught by her father she will say you were robbing the place and raping her. You will get 6 months hard for courtin' in the kitchen. ;)

The band also warns people about the strength of the hard cider and murphy's millenium brew in the songs Johnny Jump Up and Johnny Tarr, respectively.

Anyone who has seen my Farscape vids knows how large of a fan I am... the vast majority of my vids are songs by GS!

(strangely, I do not drink and yet I love this kind of music)

No comments: