26 February 2006

Pat's Random Wanderings*

Saturday, I went for another bike ride. Again I followed the irrigation canal, but in a different direction this time. I saw many strange and interesting sites. (Discovery Channel execs, if you are reading this, I want a camera crew to follow me on my wanderings. It would make a great show, trust me.)

Nothing more than a dormant apple orchard, you say? Well given a night time, overcast, and breezy perspective, I think this place could be quite chilling. Possible a good place for a Halloween Haunted "house" setup. Or could it be the hunting grounds of a Wendigo?

Another picture of the same orchard, this one shows the path I rode into it on.

Could this be the remains of a Wendigo's meal? Or just some hunter's prize? From the Washington State Dept. of Fish and Wildlife, I gather that deer and elk seasons are closed. So what are these antlers doing hanging on a fence? I say a Wendigo is about! ;)

After coming across the antlers, I approached this area. The area appears to be somewhat densely wooded, prime Wendigo hunting grounds! I had an immediate feeling of being watched, so I pedaled as if the hounds of hell were behind me. And I was greatly relieved to see the scene below without an encounter.
Ah, I see the light ahead! Not much further and I can escape (I pray) the Wendigo habitat.

This home appears to have been abandoned. Notice the swingset covered by branches (just left of the center, it is red). Could the Wendigo have gotten this family? Did they flee from Yakima in fear of the Wendigo? I have noticed nearly all the homes along the canal have large dogs. Do these dogs keep the Wendigo at bay? Only further study will tell.

Here the canal begins to meander like the Missouri River. Here there is a chainlink fence to keep people away from the canal or is it to keep something in? The fence appears mangled. Does this mean that the citizens of Yakima tried to keep the Wendigo isolated and it managed to escape? The evidence is mounting.

This picture is taken as I leave the canal behind and it runs into a pipe. The bridge to this manor is over the canal. Who lives here though? Someone wealthy enough to protect themselves from the Wendigo? Or protect the Wendigo from the citizens of Yakima? Or the Wendigo itself? Also where does this pipe lead? A wendigo layer?

Also, on my wanderings on Saturday I found this interesting looking house:
Definetly different looking for a house. Looks more like a commercial building to me.

This was a neat looking yard that I happened upon. It has a stone fence encompassing it. I circled in red a fountain that is spurting water up and through the arch is a pool of sorts.

Could it be? Are the old legends true? It is... the one coffe shack that couldn't stay in business in Yakima! What a find this is... Economists will be all over this soon to see how it was unable to stay open in a vibrant coffee sipping community like Yakima.

On this adventure, we travelled along a canal in Yakima, WA through possible wendigo hunting grounds. We discovered some evidence that supports the theory and, thankfully, we did not encounter the wendigo itself. Until next time, wander randomly!

*Hopefully coming to a TV network near you soon. ;)

6 comments:

Benjamin Cutler said...

I find your “Wendigo Hypothesis” very interesting. I've always wondered what caused apple trees to loose their leaves in the winter.

Benjamin Cutler said...

er...lose...

Arnold said...

I would watch this show. Damn, that was pretty scary. By the way, Wendigos are close to my favorite legendary monsters. Although...some legends...are true. I wouldn't worry though. Wendigos mainly keep to the eastern seaboard if I'm not mistaken, around Quebec & Maine. Which makes me wonder why Stephen King hasn't written anything about Wendigos. Has he? I don't think so. In your area you need to worry about Sasquatch. Big Time.

Arnold said...

Nevermind, in Pet Semetary the burial ground was cursed by the Wendigo. That makes the story even more cool. I only saw the movie.

Patrick Wellner said...

actually, wendigos are also around MN... I read somewhere that some people theorized that bigfoot was a wendigo.

kindof goes to one of the stories of wendigos: during a harsh winter, if a group is cutoff from supplies and one or more of them go cannibal then they become a wendigo

check out the wikipedia entry and google "wendigo" for more fun facts

Andy said...

Hey, I'm from MN, and we had tons of harsh winters. Let me tell you about the time when I had to walk 15 miles through 12 feet of snow to school only to find out that it was closed and so I had to turn around and walk back.

Those were hard times, days of starvation, etc. I don't talk about those days much. All I can say is that I'm never visiting Cannibalon, MN ever again. The food was good though.