08 March 2008

Back to Sea3d

It really is too bad I was born in the 20th century. I should have been born when much of the world was unexplored... primarily the age of sail. I bring this up not just because of my skills in the outdoors but because I have returned to playing Sea3d after close to 6 mos. absence. Sea3d is an online free version of Settlers of Catan. I consider myself to be quite good (and a little lucky) at the game. My highest rank on the site was 198 in October 2006 (std 4 player) and I am now trying work back to it from 430. To give a little insight to the ranks, there are 1,960 active players.

EDITED TO ADD: At 8:34 tonight I am at rank 378.

2 comments:

Arnold said...

It's true that the "easy" way of exploring the world has pretty much filled out the surface map of the planet, but the seas are still rife with mystery--I'm talking about below the surface. We still know hardly anything about the ocean deep, it's the last great frontier left on this world. I did research on the enzymes (I jokingly christened them extremozymes for their ability to withstand stressors like X-treme Heat) of organisms that dwell by the sea vents--there are ecosystems there that buck the system by not depending on photosynthesis at all, their basis for sustaining life are microorganisms whose metabolism is entirely carried out by straight up chemosynthesis.

Patrick Wellner said...

that was pretty much the idea behind SeaQuest...