08 April 2006

Furniture

I recently had a discussion with a friend of the necessarity of furniture. I could go into the details, but I will let that beast sleep. Instead, I will go into the discussion of the minimum furniture that a single guy needs.

As a single male, I prefer to live by the "if it fits in my pickup" method to furniture aquisition. When I moved from SD to Yakima, WA, I did so in one trip. I only brought what I could fit into my S10 pickup.

According to the thefreedictionary.com, furniture is the movable articles in a room or an establishment that make it fit for living or working. This definition could cause a stir with the fit for living or working tagline, but I will concur with it based on my opinion on fit.

A single guy needs nothing more than a place to sit, eat, and sleep. Some articles will say that more is needed, but the goal of said articles is more to please the ladies than to meat the minimum guy requirments.
  1. A place to sit after a hard days work. A couple of choices exist or for the man with many guests, a variety of both may be used. First up, the durable milk crate. Very functional, it may be used to sit on. A second crate can be used as a foot rest. Flip it over and you have a handy storage container. The second option is the stately bucket. The bucket has the same benefits as the milk crate, plus buckets come in various heights so you can get a taller one to best situate youself. Either of these items can be obtained for the low, low cost of NOTHING! Milk crates can be found around the backside of grocery stores or milk distribution facilities. And buckets can be found in ditches along side America's highway system.

  2. A place to eat, watch tv, a desk, etc. Well, one table can do all of this! But tables can come in all sorts of shapes and sizes so how do we choose a "guy" table? We build it! A ply wood table with 2x4s for legs!

  3. A place to lay our head down at night and recoup. As most guys enjoy the outdoors and camping, what better than a sleeping bag for a bed!

  4. Everyone needs a place to put their clothes and the closet isn't always the best spot for unmentionables ;) The guy minimum is a duffle bag, but not any duffle bag. An army surplus duffle bag, you can get some great prices at army surplus stores!

  5. The last piece of furniture to meet the guy minimum is a lamp for reading (or whatever) late into the night. But why stop with the camping equipment? Just use your trusty lantern for a lamp and your bucket or milk crate chair can double as a night stand!

I have to admit that I do exceed these minimum standards, I have two folding tables from Office Depot, an office type chair, a small bookcase and dresser (walmart particle board furniture), and an air mattress.

Thanks for reading my blog, and tommorrow, expect more pirate banter from me!

5 comments:

Andy said...

Just throw in a refrigerator box or two to house these items, and you're set!

Benjamin Cutler said...

That MSN article was over the top. What? I should buy a $150 pair of jeans and a $200 pair of shoes to get a date? Sounds backwards to me. Heck, a potential date should have to pay me $100 just for the chance, $200 if she wants to actually get a date out of me. And she should count herself lucky if I say yes because, unless if I feel particularly generous, I'll probably say no.

Arnold said...

When I ask someone on a date, I look to see if she dresses worth the amount I consider my time to be worth. For example, if it's Shark Week all night on the Discovery Channel, and she only wears about 100 bucks worth of clothing, jewelry, high heels, body spray, eye liner, etc., it ain't happenin'.

Andy said...

And this from the guy (Cutler) who went out in search of expensive purple furniture to buy just to impress the ladies!

Arnold said...

Purple furniture to impress the ladies...not bad. Very Prince-ish.