17 March 2006

Irish Up - the origins

It is spreading... muhahaha! Actually the term cowboy up means to keep working hard no matter how tough things get. It is a play on the common characteristic/stereotype that cowboys are bluecollar, hardworkers. Well, I sort of created the term for Saint Patrick's Week.

Irish Up, or at least the way I am using it, is to enjoy good music, good atmosphere, good food, and good drink. There is no requirement to drink alcoholic beverages (I don't drink), but the "good music" must be from a celtic and/or irish band. For example, Gaelic Storm, Great Big Sea, or Natalie MacMaster.

Btw, I am disappointed in Yakima's Irish Pub. I tried to stop in there tonight, but there were too many people packed in there. Thus lowering the atmosphere. Plus they were not playing any music. It is a nice place to go and eat on most days and the decor of the building is enjoyable to look at (many irish posters and knicknacks). I need to add start a good irish pub to my list of deeds to complete in my life. A place that can accomodate crowds and a decent stage for live bands. Of course this would be in SD, where I could borrow some of the talented bands from the Twin Cities. But it is probably nothing more than a dream... oh well. I did just submit a definition of irish up to the urban dictionary, I'll let everyone know when it is apporved by the editors.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Apparently "Get someone's Irish up" is already listed in the Urban Dictionary. However, I think that the intended meaning is different.