25 May 2006

What happend at work today... hmmm...

Well, apparently I did not get the pink memo... Thank God (not that I could do anything about it if I did). Noone got fired, a number of the female coworkers coincidently all wore pink today, so they joked about a "pink memo". Not a big deal, but as a blogger I need filler ;)

I am nearly 25 years old... but I do not feel anywhere near that old. I feel more like 20 or 21 at this point in my life. The point is that I am beginning to suspect I may be going through a quarter-life crisis: all of a sudden I grow a goatee, I get a new job, ...what is next? We'll see ;)

Today I found myself again working with Katie (the intern) on developing a set of plan sheets for my paving job. All went well for the day... better than well, she accomplished more today than I expected her to. The point I was coming to concerns the road to be paved by my project.

It is SR129 in south east Washington, near theIdaho border and the Snake River. The portion to be paved by my project winds from the city of Asotin up Asotin Hill and ends shy of the "summit". This hill is quite steep actually. Just look at some of the curves in the roadway:
The tightest curve is close to 105ft in radius! Using a common superelevation table from the WSDOT Design Manual (DM), this gives a design speed of 20mph with a superelevation of 10%! This is a considerable amount of super... the maximum according to the WSDOT DM (AASHTO manuals have higher superelevations).

Thanks to SRWeb and an animated gif program I can show you a couple of the curves on this section of highway.



Stupid blogspot, it refuses to accept these as gifs and makes them png files :( Here are the links to the animated gifs I made:

2 comments:

Arnold said...

I didn't have a quarter-life crisis. I pretty much just have a life crisis.

Arnold said...

By the way, those animations make it look like the curves are just circles out in the middle of sagebrush country. Roundabouts with nowhere to 'dabout to.